To make your New Year’s resolution stick this year, make your resolution do-able. It is not enough to make broad pledges such as "I want to lose weight in 2016" or "I want to get fit and toned".
Chances are you’ll be on and off loads of diets and although you will probably lose weight, you will also be very likely to fall off the wagon and regain the flab plus more. That failure will happen unless you back up your dream, your vision and your pledges with very specific plans.
Plans that are easily built into your everyday life. Plans that help to knock old bad habits hard on the head. Plans that you will and can do easily and consistently.
Here are some examples of how to do this and what you might work on to be successful with your resolutions to lose weight:
1. Write down 3 specific eating or drinking habits that you need to work on
2. For each one, write down something realistic and easy that you could do to change that habit
3. Work on each of those 3 habits during January and February. It takes up to 2 months to bed down a new habit and change and old one, so don’t give up too soon and don't try to do too many things at once.
4. Keep track of how well you are going. Draw up a weekly success chart with each of the new habits listed. Each and every day, give yourself a star if you succeeded on the day. At the end of each week, total up your stars. If you’re getting 5 or more for each new habit, that’s fantastic. If you’re not doing that well, then work out how you could improve things further. What (or who) is stopping you? Work on ways you can make that new habit stick.
Apply this technique for teasing out your plans for success in any resolution or dream.
Simply replace any reference to eating and drinking or weight loss with another goal.
Here are some ways to be successful with your resolution to: "I am going to get fit this year"
1. Write down 3 specific "activity habits" that you need to work on.
2. For each one, write down something realistic and easy that you could do to change that habit.
This technique applies at all times of the year whenever you want to get ideas/dreams/goals started and firmly planted into your life.