A few other older media interviews, presentations and appearances (does not include talkback radio segments):
May 18-19, attended and displayed at the Australian and New Zealand Eating Disorders and Obesity Conference at Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, Qld.
- Jan 1, Hangover cures with Tim Cox on 612-ABC radio.
August 2014 Invited presenter at the National GP Obesity Forum in Adelaide: two intensive 45 minute presentations to audiences of more than 100 general practitioners (medical doctors) who attended from across Australia
- March 19, 2014 with Paula at ABC-Townsville radio talking about the World Health Organisation's (WHO) challenge to everyone to eat less than 6 teaspoons of sugar in a day.
- March 17, 2014 with Tim Cox at 612-ABC radio talking about sugar and how easy or hard it would be to eat 6 teaspoons or less each day. That's just 24 g added sugar.
- Jan 18, 2014. Saturday mornings with Peter Scott on ABC Qld-wide discussing gluten free eating for coeliac disease and the increasing popularity of low gluten eating: the risks and benefits of each.
Oct-Nov 2013 edition of Nature and Health (natureandhealth.com.au) featured in article "21 ways to lose weight without dieting".
- 6-8th September, 2013. Invited presenter in Bariatric Surgery Workshops and Ask the Expert panel at the inaugural iNova National GP Obesity Forum, which ran over 2 intensive days in Sydney. Almost 300 medical doctors in general practice attended this event.
- August 2013, Australian Family Physician. Co-author with Caroline Shannon and Ashlee Gervasoni of "The bariatric surgery patient - nutritional considerations" (AFP Vol 42 No 8 Aug 2013, p 547-552).
- August 2013. Breakfast with Spencer Howson on 612-ABC radio discussing dietary factors that stop pooh (faeces) being flushed away properly.
- August 5, 2013. Afternoons with Kelly Higgens-Devine on 612-ABC radio about Superfoods.
- August 3, 2103. Invited speaker and workshop presenter at the Home Economics Institute of Australia (Qld) conference at The Convention Centre, Brisbane.
- June 14, 2013. Afternoons with Tim Cox on 612-ABC radio talking about the new food labeling rules proposed by the Federal Government.
- January 22, 2013. Invited to present at a media event with the Qld Minister for Health and Qld Minister for Education about packing healthy school lunches.
- January 2013. Interview with Nationwide News, Grant Jones, National Food Writer about healthy after school snacks. Distribution date to be announced.
November 13, 2012. Live with Tim Cox commenting about Qld State Government's proposal to target soft drinks in battle against obesity.
September 2012. With Cat Davidson on 612-ABC radio about the risks involved with gorging at all-you-can-eat buffets.
September 2012. With Kellie Higgins-Devine on 612-ABC radio about the deception of serve sizes shown on food labels as reported by Choice magazine.
- August 2012 issue of Australian Women's Health and Fitness includes quotes and contributions by Trudy
- July 2012 edition of Cleo magazine has comments from Trudy in "Foods nutritionists won't touch"
- Throughout July 2012 on 612-ABC - more easy diet swaps.
- June 8th, 2012. Talkback with listeners on Kellie Higgins-Devine on 612-ABC about winter comfort foods
- June 4th, 2012. Channel 9's A Current Affair featured "this=that child size" as part of a The Weight Debate discussion about childhood obesity and bullying of mums and TV Logie Winner, Chrissie Swann.
- May 31, 2012. With Tim Cox on 612-ABC drive time discussing metabolic rate and metabolism.
- May 1, 2012. With Spencer Howson on 612-ABC. Discussing easy diet swaps for the big Swappers Team event.
- March 29, 2012. With Kelly Higgins-Devine on 612-ABC Radio. Chocolate eaters have a lower BMI. Is chocolate a slimmer's food?
- March 2012 edition of the Australian Healthy Food Guide. Page 20 - 25. Weight loss at any age.
- 28 Jan 2012. With Phil Smith on ABC local Radio streaming digital. Risks of fast weight loss diets.
- January 2012 edition of the Australian Healthy Food Guide. Page 19. Small changes, big results: how to make your New year's resolutions stick.
18 Dec 2011. With Peter Scott on ABC Gold Coast Radio broadcasting Queensland wide discussing hangover cures.
- 15 Dec 2011. With Chris Welsh on 612-ABC Radio disussing fussy eaters and food phobic kids; what causes neophobia and how to deal with it.
- 14 Dec 2011. With Kellie Higgins-Devine on 612-ABC Radio discussing the Draft Dietary Guidelines for Australians released today for public comment.
- 1-2 Sept 2011. Look in the Weekend papers for another quote from Trudy.
- July 2011. 98.9 FM Radio with Nathan about easy diet swaps and party foods.
- July 20, 2011. 98.9 FM Radio. Interview about safe microwave cooking.
- July 2011. 96.5 FM Radio. Fruit salad and why it's good for you. Nutrition excerpts for the month.
- May 28-29, 2011. Featured in The Weekend Australian on Page 7 of the Weekend Professional. A great article about my career in dietetics, my nutrition philosophy, and my books. I am so very proud to be a dietitian.
- May 3, 2011. Interview with Chris O'Brien on Drive 612-ABC radio about how to bounce back after eating and drinking to much.
- April 18, 2011. Interview with Nathan Talsma at Radio 989 FM about snacking - when to snack and what to snack on.
- Nov 30, 2011. Today Tonight on National TV Channel 7 interviewed Trudy Williams about Choice Magazine's claims that long storage of fruit and vegetables causes nutritional losses and concerns for consumers.
Oct 2010. Westside News. About "this=that child size" and fussy eaters.
- Sept 6, 2010. On 612 ABC radio, live with Chris O'Brien on 'Mornings - learn something new' talking about the slippery topic of butter versus margarine. Which do you choose?
- June 30, 2010. On 612 ABC radio, live during Drive with Chris O'Brien. Food labelling in fast food chains in Victoria.
- June 26, 2010. On 612 ABC Qld-wide radio, live with Warren Boland. Do we have a 'second stomach'? How come kids can always find room for dessert even though the main plate is left unfinished? Trudy suggests it comes down to a factor she calls Triple S - sensory specific satiety. The 1st bite of pleasing food is always the best and as we continue to eat that specific food, our desire or interest in that food diminishes - we get bored with it and happily switch to something else.
- February 21, 2010. On 612 ABC with Warren Boland - are grandparents really to blame for a kid's obesity? A UK study suggests yes they are, especially when they care for the kids full time!
October 2009. Cosmo Bride. Trudy was invited to comment on the best ways to lose weight and look great for your wedding day.
- June 6, 2009. The Courier Mail, page 35. Comment for "Outcry over obesity toll" by Anna Caldwell.
- June 3, 2009. The Courier Mail, page 5. Interview for "Money for surgery weighs on obese" by Anna Caldwell.
- May 19, 2009. 'In Focus' half hour with Madonna King on ABC 612 Radio. Food labelling and food standards. Panel discussion.
Oct 24, 2008. Drive Time with Katrina Davidson on ABC Coast FM. Discussing the new Voluntary (and self-regulated) Code of Advertising for foods and drinks shown during Children's TV times.
- August 2008. Women's Health & Fitness magazine featured an interview with Trudy Williams about 'Snack Attack' (Vol 14 No 8).
- Mar 20, 2008. Breakfast with Spencer Howson on ABC 612 Radio. Secret ingredients in your food. Did you realize that some breadcrumbs, selected milks, and Worcestershire sauce contain fish? And that the thick soy sauce called ketchap manis is about 3/4 pure sugar? And that butane (lighter fluid!) and propane (bottled gas) are found in some pressurised spray oils used in the kitchen? Discussing surprising places you find fish and other items hidden in the foods you eat. For people with allergies or strict vegetarians, these surprising ingredients could be a problem.
- Mar 19, 2008. Evenings with Katrina Davidson on ABC 612 Radio Qld wide. Tips for surviving Easter - presenting delicious 'foodie' and fun ideas other than chocolate for this Easter.
- Jan 28, 2008. Evenings with Katrina Davidson on ABC 612 Radio Qld wide. Nutrition and pregnancy. What are the risks with excessive weight gain during pregnancy? How much should you gain? How soon and when should you start trying to lose that pregnant bulge after baby's delivery?
- Jan 14, 2008. Breakfast with David Iliffe on ABC Toowoomba radio. New Year's resolutions - how to decide between meal replacements, delivered foods, clubs or other diets.
Oct 12, 2007. Evenings with Nick Earles on ABC 612 Radio Qld wide. Are our bodies so unhealthy that we need alkalinising? How does the human body maintain the correct acid-alkaline balance? Strontium for humans? Sorting true options from misleading potions.
- May 9, 2007. Evenings with Steve Austin on ABC 612 Radio Qld wide. Food labels, claims. What can we believe? Are they regulated?
- Feb 28, 2007. Afternoons with Richard Fiedler on ABC's 612 Qld wide show. Fussy eating and children - in response to the young 10yr old boy from Britain who is massively obese and whose mum apparently fed him fast food to make sure he got something to eat because he wouldn't eat anything else. The parent's responsibility of the what, where, when of feeding children. Nothing is sometimes better than something, when it comes to food.
- Feb 9, 2007. Breakfast with Spencer Howson on ABC radio. Children have better memory powers when they add a snack between breakfast and lunch. A snack is especially important if your child eats a small breakfast or has their breakfast early.
- Jan 24, 2007. Breakfast with Tony Johnson on Brisbane's 612-ABC radio. School lunches - healthy and practical ideas that get eaten!
- Jan 17, 2007. Breakfast with Tony Johnson on Brisbane's 612-ABC radio. Clearing up some of the concerns about soy products and cancer risk. For an official release on this topic, contact the Cancer Council (Australia) for their position statement on soy and cancer.
- Jan 15, 2007. Mornings with Shelly Lloyd on Brisbane's 612-ABC radio. Trudy provided tips on how to manage the family's nutrition without adding to any feelings of guilt that might escalate for mums after they hear about research results that indicate children of working mums are more likely to be overweight (research from Newcastle, NSW).
- Jan 10, 2007. Breakfast with Tony Johnson on 612-ABC radio. Hidden hazards in our foods that might cause bloating, mood swings, diarrhoea, migraines and other general problems.
Nov 26, 2006. Afternoon with Phil Smith on Brisbane's 612-ABC about Food Labels - what's important and simplifying how to read them.
- Oct 23, 2006. Breakfast radio interview with Spencer Howson on Brisbane's 612-ABC about Vegemite - its folate content and possible reasons why it's banned in the US.
- Aug 24, 2006. TV segment with Brisbane's Channel 9 Extra about serve sizes. Did you know that big bowls lead to big appetites, and this leads to over-serving? Looks can be deceiving and we will eat more if served more. According to US research, by simply serving out of smaller bowls with smaller serving spoons, you will serve and eat less. Use this idea to your advantage. Serve your vegetables and salad at the table out of large bowls, but serve the rice or pasta out of smaller bowls. Down-size your pasta dish, but up-size your side-salad plate!
- May, 2006 Television interview for Brisbane's Extra on Channel 9 about new low GI, high fibre white breads.
- April 28, 2006. Television interview for ABC TV Stateline program 'Drastic Measures' about obesity in Queensland. To read a transcript, click here.
- April 6, 2006. ABC 612 Radio with Spencer Howson at breakfast. Invited to respond to newspaper headline claiming that 'new research shows low fat diets are a waste of time when it comes to heart disease and cancer'. The original research, published in Journal American Medical Association, didn't test what we definitely know about the connections between diet and heart disease and cancer. And that's that a diet low in saturated fat rather than low in total fat (the total amount is not so much an issue if you are not overweight) and rich in vegetables, legumes and fruit is protective. Lesson for you? Don't believe the headlines and quick grabs on TV. Go back to the journal to read the fine print or ask a dietitian for their opinion.
- Mar 14, 2006. ABC 612 Radio with Spencer Howson at breakfast. Invited interview about folate fortification of bread and risk of heart disease and stroke. Diets rich in folate reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. Fruits and vegetables (includes salad) are naturally rich in folate but now Food Standards Australia-New Zealand are considering the fortification of flour with folate. In the mean time, eat more fruit and vegetables for the same protection against heart disease and stroke and you will also reduce your risk of developing high blood pressure, diabetes, and certain cancers in the digestive tract.
- Feb 28, 2006. ABC 612 Radio with Spencer Howson at breakfast. Invited interview about recently released Obesity Statistics that confirm Aussies are getting bigger but many don't see themselves as overweight. About 62% of adult men and 45% of adult women are overweight or obese .... that's about 1 in every 2 adults is overweight or obese. But incredibly only 1 in every 3 adults (32% of men and 37% of women) believed that they were overweight. Women are more likely to make healthy choices, but both men and women fall short on the recommended targets for fruit and vegetable intake. About 60% of women but only 48% of men eat enough fruit. Alarmingly, only 16% of women and 11% of men eat enough vegetables. The harsh fat figures come from the Australian Bureau of Statistics' recent report titled "4364.0 National Health Survey: Summary of Results 2004-2005".
- Jan 9th, 2006. 612-ABC Radio at afternoon drive time with Nicole Dyer: Invited interview about detox diets.
Brisbane's main newspaper, The Courier Mail featured images from Trudy's award winning book together with experts' health tips in a 6-day series that commenced on Boxing Day 2005 and ended on 31st December.
- December 2005. TV Briz-31 featured Trudy in Dr Ingrid Tall's Your Health program which was seen in three different states
- Dec 30th, 2005. ABC Radio State-wide with Peter Scott: Invited interview about vit D in light of recent research that suggest it has a role in reducing certain cancers - vit D's benefits, sources, risks of toxicity, and balancing the risk of skin cancer due to UV exposure with the need for vit D.
Some other Media Clippings and News
In 2006, The Courier Mail's Feature 'Battle of the buldge for kids' featured comment from Trudy Williams, Rosemary Stanton, Andrew Hills and Clare Collins. Debate about the topic continued at a blog.